Hello my fellow bookworms!
As some of you might know on November 3, 2015, BBC One announced that it had commissioned a television adaptation of Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials trilogy. For a huge fan like myself and so many others, this is amazing news! While we did receive a film adaptation of the first book, The Golden Compass ( Northern Lights in the UK), the 2007 film did not live up to the expectations of fans and struggled at the box office. The planned sequels never even hit pre-pre-production status before being cancelled. Needless to say, fans are ready for this television series!
While it is still very early in the production process, we have been given a few tidbits of information about the project:
- First, and foremost in my opinion, we know that the series WILL cover all three books! Huzzah! My favorite book would have to be the second one, so this is especially amazing news.
- Two production companies, Bad Wolf (yes, THAT Bad Wolf) and New Line Cinema, will come together to create the series.
- Filming will take place in Wales and will likely begin in 2017.
- In more recent news, it was announce that Harry Potter and the Cursed Child writer Jack Thorne would be the one to adapt the beloved trilogy for the television series. (Between Doctor Who, Harry Potter, and His Dark Materials, I don’t know if I my nerdy heart will be able to handle all of the fandom goodness!)
- Philip Pullman himself will serve as an executive producer on the project, so you know it’s going to be great!
- Finally, some conflicting news seems to floating around on the expected length of the series. Sources report that it will either be an eight-part series or a five-season series with eight episodes per season. As soon as I can determine the exact number, I’ll be sure to update here!
As I said, not much is known about the pending series, but it is still early in the game. All I know is that I will be regularly checking the His Dark Materials’s IMDB Page for new information. And no worries, I will keep you informed!
Perhaps it’s time for a reread or two in preparation?